The BSAC Member Only Forums   BSAC Website
Home Take me to... Register FAQ Calendars Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BSAC Scuba Diving Forums > Members Forums > The Archives : Our old forums (Read Only) > In Depth (Archive)

Old 11-11-2003, 20:28
tom scales

Twin set

Any advice on configuration of twin 12's i.e. how many 2nd stages per reg'/1st stage. I have an isolation manifold!! Thanks for any advice!!
Old 11-11-2003, 21:50
Adrian Kelland

Re: Twin set

Quote:
Any advice on configuration of twin 12's i.e. how many 2nd stages per reg'/1st stage. I have an isolation manifold!! Thanks for any advice!!

I would say that most of us have 1 second stage on each first stage. I have not seen different, but this does not mean that someone, somewhere has something different.

Adrian
Old 12-11-2003, 07:55
angiemac

Quote:

A simple suggestion - go to the dive show and watch Jack Ingles talk on technical diving kit configuration. Very interesting and it will make you think alot about your kit. Failing this do the ERD or a technical course and the instructors will not only help you configure your kit to suit you but will also teach you how to use it properly.
Old 12-11-2003, 13:14
Barry Goss

Quote:

Oh what a can of worms.
Ok, Read this:: <a href="http://www.gasdiving.co.uk/pages/misc/kit.htm" >http://www.gasdiving.co.uk/pages/misc/kit.htm</a>
Then this: <a href="http://www.bentleytech.com/cave/stroke/index.html" >http://www.bentleytech.com/cave/stroke/index.html</a>
then all of this: <a href="http://www.ukrs.org.uk/links/links04.html#Technical_topics" >http://www.ukrs.org.uk/links/links04.html#Technical_topics</a>

and take any piece of information on there that you think is a good idea (whether or not that is the opinion of the writer) and use it on your kit.
Then dive your kit somewhere safe and shallow, do about 20 dives and each time you get out of the water think about changing an item on your kit. Either position or type. At the end of this process you will have the kit that suits you.

I could just recommend - read the first url and set up your kit as described there, but you won't know why you have it set-up like that.
Experience is the only way to work out what works for kit config.
HTH
Barry
Old 14-11-2003, 01:17
derek perry

Personaly I have twin 300bar 10's with an isolation manifold between.
I dive with the isolator closed so both tanks are independent.
I have an Air 2 and 2nd stage on one and 2xsecond stages on the other.
Plus my dry suit connected to one and my BC to the other so I always have access to bouyancy.
I am now in the postition to continue a dive if anything happens to either DV, after cosideration to air left etc.
If one DV fails I still have 2x2nd stages on the other, which is the same configeration as single tank divers.
If one DV fails and I can get the tank turned off quick enough the I can open the isolation valve to access all the available air in both tanks and still have 2x2nd stages.

Hope this helps

Derek

Quote:
Old 16-11-2003, 22:53
Chris Tibble

Quote:
Plus my dry suit connected to one and my BC to the other so I always have access to bouyancy.
I am now in the postition to continue a dive if anything happens to either DV, after cosideration to air left etc.
If one DV fails I still have 2x2nd stages on the other, which is the same configeration as single tank divers.
If one DV fails and I can get the tank turned off quick enough the I can open the isolation valve to access all the available air in both tanks and still have 2x2nd stages.

Hope this helps

Derek

How does the hose routing work on that?

Chris
Old 17-11-2003, 09:31
matt

Quote:

Do you really mean 'continue a dive' or do you mean 'abort the dive in a controlled manner'?

Quote:

If this is a justification for not aborting, it appears you are taking a twinset on dives which require only a single set. You may be adding considerable complexity for no discernable gain.

Quote:

But you simply do not need two second stages. If one DV fails you switch to the only other DV you are carrying and abort the dive.

Quote:
Hope this helps

It is your kit and your life. I personally would not buddy someone in the kit configuration you describe for any dive that warrants a twinset. IMVHO it is overly complicated and adds more risk than it removes. There are more things to go wrong and you may be faced with choices (stress) which you can avoid. For instance 2nd stages often suffer minor problems. With 2 regs the problematic reg is the 'other reg' with 4 regs it is 'one of 3 others'.

There are lots of things that advanced (technical uggh) divers argue about. Keep It Simple Stupid is not one of those issues. Take what you need and only what you need. Make sure it works. Stow it where you can use it.

YMMV.
Old 19-11-2003, 00:59
derek perry

Quote:
:=Personaly I have twin 300bar 10's with an isolation manifold between.
:=I dive with the isolator closed so both tanks are independent.
:=I have an Air 2 and 2nd stage on one and 2xsecond stages on the other.
:=Plus my dry suit connected to one and my BC to the other so I always have access to bouyancy.
:=I am now in the postition to continue a dive if anything happens to either DV, after cosideration to air left etc.
:=If one DV fails I still have 2x2nd stages on the other, which is the same configeration as single tank divers.
:=If one DV fails and I can get the tank turned off quick enough the I can open the isolation valve to access all the available air in both tanks and still have 2x2nd stages.
:=
:=Hope this helps
:=Derek

How does the hose routing work on that?

Chris

Both primary 2nd stages over my right shoulder, octo stage over my left and my air 2 is on my left as well.
Right tank contents under right arm and left tank contents under left arm.
Very easy and lots of back up. My buddy knows to grab any DV not in my mouth

Hope this helps

Derek
Old 19-11-2003, 01:12
derek perry

Quote:
:=Personaly I have twin 300bar 10's with an isolation manifold between.
:=I dive with the isolator closed so both tanks are independent.
:=I have an Air 2 and 2nd stage on one and 2xsecond stages on the other.
:=Plus my dry suit connected to one and my BC to the other so I always have access to bouyancy.
:=I am now in the postition to continue a dive if anything happens to either DV, after cosideration to air left etc.

Do you really mean 'continue a dive' or do you mean 'abort the dive in a controlled manner'?

:=If one DV fails I still have 2x2nd stages on the other, which is the same configeration as single tank divers.

If this is a justification for not aborting, it appears you are taking a twinset on dives which require only a single set. You may be adding considerable complexity for no discernable gain.

:=If one DV fails and I can get the tank turned off quick enough the I can open the isolation valve to access all the available air in both tanks and still have 2x2nd stages.

But you simply do not need two second stages. If one DV fails you switch to the only other DV you are carrying and abort the dive.

:=Hope this helps

It is your kit and your life. I personally would not buddy someone in the kit configuration you describe for any dive that warrants a twinset. IMVHO it is overly complicated and adds more risk than it removes. There are more things to go wrong and you may be faced with choices (stress) which you can avoid. For instance 2nd stages often suffer minor problems. With 2 regs the problematic reg is the 'other reg' with 4 regs it is 'one of 3 others'.

There are lots of things that advanced (technical uggh) divers argue about. Keep It Simple Stupid is not one of those issues. Take what you need and only what you need. Make sure it works. Stow it where you can use it.

YMMV.

Matt

Been there done it, and tried my configuration in every way describable for over 35 years.
It's horses for courses and I like back up as I've seen many things go wrong. One thing I believe in is self reliance and this offers the best. I know loads of divers who dive with ponies and air 2's and the only additional thing I have is a second second stage on my other rig.
You do it your way and I'll do it mine and I guess we'll never be diving together!!!

Good diving

Derek
Old 19-11-2003, 21:41
Chris Tibble

Quote:
Both primary 2nd stages over my right shoulder, octo stage over my left and my air 2 is on my left as well.
Right tank contents under right arm and left tank contents under left arm.
Very easy and lots of back up. My buddy knows to grab any DV not in my mouth

Hope this helps

Derek

Man that sounds complex! Do you have any long hoses?

Chris